Friday, July 28, 2006

Getting Carried Away

This whole mp3 posting thing is pretty damn cool if you ask me (For the record, if anyone has an issue with these mp3 postings, please let me know and I'll remove them immediately). The staff at comanche/soul is pretty geeked up about it, so I thought I'd share a few more for the weekend:

M. Ward - "To Go Home". I've said it before, but the full band really suits M. I've enjoyed each of his releases, and his last, Transistor Radio, was one of last year's most underrated releases. For an alt. country guy, he's mighty tuneful. And with that rising piano part that introduces each chorus and verse and the floor-tom pounds, you sense Ward may have discovered his inner Brian Wilson, finding a complex arrangement to back up his strangely melodic songwriting.

Figurines - "Rivalry". Initial reports from these albums seemed to unanimously trumpet their Pacific Northwest indie (Built to Spill, Modest Mouse) sensibilities and their massive hooks. I picked up the album a couple weeks ago, and had mixed feelings. Yes, it's good, but I would liken them more to the Shins than either of those two -- the production just isn't there yet -- but probably less immediately catchy. It's one of those songs you'll enjoy four or five times before forgetting about it, only to be pleasantly surprised when it surfaces on iTunes again in six months.

In other news...
Recently came across this article on Drudge discussing the new Arab backlash against Israel. Though many predicted the conflict in Lebanon would polarize the region into an Iran-influenced camp and an alliance of Jordan, Egypt and the Saudis. Unfortunately, it seems popular opinion may be pushing that alliance against Israel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home