Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Fletch Lives!

In the news...
Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher -- who, with any luck, will not be in office much longer -- revoked a phrase in the state government's employee policy that protects state workers from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. A number of Kentucky Democrats joined a few prominent Republicans groups in speaking out against the hopefully-soon-to-be-former Governor's actions.
Now normally this would be a pretty stunning display on its own, but, somehow (SOMEHOW) the Governor had the good sense to announce all this on the day he proclaimed as "Diversity Day".

In the most redundant and least surprising news story of the day, Iran has been urged to stop its nuclear activities. It appears to be a slow news day.

I'm not totally in the know, but it seems like a good thing that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and House Speaker Dennis Hastert are both backing off legislation that would make illegal immigration a felony. Of course, they're also insisting the Dems were the ones who wanted to keep this provision in the bill, which seems odd since Republican House Judiciary Chair James Sensenbrenner originally pushed the bill that included such provisions. It seems like something of a spin job, but, like I said, I'm not exactly in the know, so I'll wait for this to fully play out before I pass judgement.
*Side note: I recently had a new idea for my blog. I'm going to be announcing official comanche/soul policies in regards to current events and issues, when appropriate. I'll consult with my Board of Directors, some third party consultants, and let you know.

Pretty funny political cartoon today on Slate.

Elsewhere...
Pitchfork reports that Bright Eyes have a new album in the works. Sleater-Kinney drummer Janet Weiss, singer Gillian Welch, and, one of comanche/soul's personal favorites, gruff country-rock troubadour M. Ward are all contributing.

On Monday they also published a very entertaining interview with Neko Case. Those not familiar with Case -- often referred to as a "chanteuse" by inane rock crits everywhere -- might still enjoy it. It's one of the first times I've read an artist be so direct, self-deprecating, and generally accessible in an interview.

Last week Popmatters.com published a series of reviews of Continuum's 33 1/3 book series. The series is made up of small books (about 100 pages or so) where a writer tackles a classic album. There is no Revolver or Dark Side of the Moon, but rather most editions go after a so-called "cult" favorite. I've personally read the one on Love's Forever Changes, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on Velvet Crush and Tyde drummer Ric Menck's take on the Byrds' foray into country, Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

Also, I got an email from my buddy Andrew Huffer recently urging me to check out the new Band of Horses' LP, Everything All the Time. He's headed to their show in Seattle soon, so to honor his request, here's a link to their single, the very fine "Funeral". Mr. Huffer describes them as sounding like "(My Morning Jacket's) Jim James' little brother formed a less hair band." Apt.

Rolling Stone reviews Built to Spill, Carleton College's own (sort of) Tapes N Tapes, and give us 5 bands that hit big at SXSW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home